Monday, June 21, 2010

Love and Wonder a.k.a. Rainbow II


There is something great about flying off the sit of my pants. A blank page staring at you has none of the inherent artistic fear if you have no clue what you are going to do and the moment lends itself to 'whatever will be will be'. Many times I have been pleasantly surprised by the outcome of no plan. It might therefore come as a bit of a surprise when I now say, there is a lot of value in some planning.

The first time I attempted this image, I didn't know what I was doing with the exception of a vague idea of the outcome. With my first failure behind me and a clearer idea of what I wanted, I pulled out Betty Edwards' book "Color" and read up on my colour theory. The joy of understanding my error was surpassed by the result of putting that knowledge into effect.

This is the outcome of planning and information and I realize now that neither of them can distract from the creative desire. If anything, they add a wonderful new dimension to a world that is more and more amazing with each observation I make. Learning by doing is a great teacher...but then again so is learning by learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment