Friday, January 4, 2013

Red Cars in Traffic

This is the first of my "Where Does Inspiration Come From?" posts because other than the motivation to get started...finding the inspirational ideas to bring forth into reality is one of the most common problem/question people have about creativity.

The truth is...ideas are all over the place.

The best analogy I can come up with is based on traffic.  If someone stopped you and asked how many red cars there were on the road, there is no way you could tell them.  That's how most people live.  Inspiration passes them by like red cars in traffic.

When you choose a creative life (and I think it is very much a choice!) ideas begin to show up out of the commitment to creativity.  It's a lot like realizing that there are not only red cars around you but there are plenty of them just whizzing by every few minutes.  Sometimes they go by so fast you haven't the chance to get a good look at them, other times a red car will stop right next to you and you get to see not only the sheen of the paint job but every detail of model, make and manufacturer.

Each 'red car' is an idea that might be suited to something you want to create, other times just a pleasant thought of what might someday be...maybe even be for someone else. 

I see red cars everywhere.  Books, movies, music, those daydreams I sometimes fall into when I'm standing in line at the checkout counter.  There are a lot of times I think I have more ideas than I will ever get to use.  So I figured I'd share some of my sources...and let others find a little more inspiration too.

No comments:

Post a Comment