Friday, September 17, 2010

Lighthouse

Lighthouse 8.5 x 8.5 in acrylic

I love lighthouses.  Whether it is the reality that they show weary and lost travellers where they ought to go (or not go) or because they are often engineered to withstand the ravages of time and weather is always an inspiration to me.  I want to be a lighthouse...and very often I long for someone or something to be a lighthouse for me.  It would be so nice if I could rely on something to stop me from breaking against the rocks that will send my life crashing into a thousand little pieces of flotsam and jetsam. 

There have been a few lighthouses in my life and not always the ones I expected.  I've talked with complete strangers and found something wonderful in the most unlikely places.  I have talked to friends and felt like I had come home.  There are times when I read a book and it changed my life.  

In reality, we might not all be sea faring folk but the hazards that come with living a full and happy life can be dangerous sometimes.  It is always good to know that wherever we might walk there was someone there before and they have left a little warning to tell us what to avoid and where to go.  Perhaps in time, I will be the one others look to for that flash of insight or that steady glow but until then, I might just have to keep collecting the lighthouses I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment