Monday, September 6, 2010

The Paradox

The paradox 8.5 x 8.5 in watercolour and pen

I first heard this quote in an episode of Criminal Minds.  I love the show even though for the most part it showcases the worst of humanity.  There is something oddly right about having the good gus win...and something even better when they are smark, sexy people who get to carry guns.

But enough about that...I like that they always show how everything in life is really a remake.  Even when we look at all the things people can do to each other, there is always some other person who has spoken of it before.  It makes me wonder what creativity really is.  If we are simply redoing and remaking what has already been done, can we truly be original? 

I think perhaps for that I would have to rely on another smart persons quote for it is C.S. Lewis who said, "Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

No comments:

Post a Comment