Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weakly, Weekly Writing

I spend so much of my time writing that I rarely think about it any more. But it has come to my attention that the only time I ever write fiction is during NaNoWriMo or Script Frenzy. There was a time when writing fiction was my mainstay and I enjoyed it considerably. I miss it.

I miss writing silly titbits that have no redeeming quality then moving to something that is mentally and emotionally engaging. I like short stories but the best way to enjoy one is to write one and I haven't done that in a long time.

I guess real life has shown me.

But I am not willing to let go so easily. I have every intention of getting back my creative writing mojo and that's why I came up with a challenge for myself. I will write fiction amounting to 2,000 words or more every week. It simply means I will write several pieces that add up to the total word count or one long piece. I figured 2,000 words is a nice round figure. By the end of the year I will have over 100,000 words and if there are any themes I can compile a few sizeable anthologies.

I made this pact with myself before I decided I was going to do Illustration Friday but I guess it works out perfectly. My writing and drawing have always been in direct competition and my writing beats the crap out of my art every time. This will be a good time to get my art to develop some muscles while trying to harmonise the two processes. If I can write every week, then do a pic/illustration too, I will finally begin to live the creative life I really want. I am looking forward to that.

That I have successfully kept up with the last three weeks is extremely reassuring. At least if I write weakly it means I can get the whole job done without breaking anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment